- C# Scripts
- DWH INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- MS Dynamics AX 2012 R2 Video Tutorial
- Project / Work Support
- SQL SERVER DBA INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- SQL SERVER DBA Video Tutorial
- SQL Server / TSQL Tutorial
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server Scripts
- SSIS INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- SSIS Video Tutorial
- SSRS INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- SSRS Video Tutorial
- TSQL INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- Team Foundation Server 2013 Video Tutorial
- Team Foundation Server 2015 Video Tutorial
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation Videos
What are the Types of data compression available in SQL Server?
Data compression in SQL Server
There are two types of Data compression SQL Server supports.
1- Row compression
SQL server engine performs Row Compression by changing the data storage format, it changes fixed length of different data types into variable length format by eliminating the spaces. More detail can be found in below MSDN link.
2- Page compression
Page compression is actually combination of row compression as well as prefix and dictionary compression. More detail about page compression can be found in below article
There is great article from Microsoft to learn about both types of compression in SQL server. Below is the link to MSDN article which explains SQL Server compression in great detail.